97 views
Verified Reviewer

2.2

You may have noticed that when you use InstaCart they do not supply you with a copy of the actual store receipt. Upon talking to several shoppers Ive been told this is intentional & shoppers are told not to provide this as company policy, meaning a shopper could get in trouble if they do.

I happened to get mine by accident and its a HUGE problem.

First, I shopped at a store InstaCart uses. No membership type thing, just one of my local supermarkets. In comparing the InstaCart receipt with my actual receipt, heres some things I learned. Some are an actual crime.

1) Many items on InstaCart receipt were marked at a higher price than my actual receipt.

2) some items on my store receipt I didnt order & never received, so sadly here a shopper got hungry, must have bought stuff to eat but even though I paid for it, it wasnt on InstaCart receipt.

3) if I ordered something by the pound, so InstaCart knew ahead of time (ie 3lbs meat.

Whatever price InstaCart had on their invoice when I committed stayed. So say my meat I committed to was worth $20, if it happened to only cost $14 sale or not, InstaCart didnt make adjustments for the wrong estimate or sales price.

4) heres the whopper. My store receipt naturally included sales tax. So it was surprising that InstaCart took their already inflated pricing, used that as a subtotal and charged me sales tax AGAIN.

You follow? Say my market receipt was $310 (with sales tax), because customers dont get to see store receipt, I was told by InstaCart that my SUBTOTAL was about $340 and then they added sales tax (and by me a delivery charge of $3.99 plus a 5% service charge.)

My last order, ONLY because I could read my original receipt led InstaCart to refund the off priced difference. But then it got crazier. Cause on my InstaCart bill, it looks like theybremoved item, but what they took off my card actually never removed item.

So charged for stuff I should have been refunded.

Apparently... my having the original receipt and knowing they illegally charged me sales tax on items already taxed is a BIG issue to them. Cause they wont write me back now. I laid everything out in screen shots & math & the moment I called them out on charging a specific wording of sales tax they suddenly wont respond.

I strongly suggest that once youd driver completes picking up your order you then & only then ask for the store receipt.

At least 6 shoppers told me if alerted while shopping that you want receipt, something happens & the InstaCart receipt will suddenly match the store receipt.

Get your store receipt. Its legally yours. If they wont hand it over, ask to take photos of it when items dropped off say you may need to return some items. If shopper wont give you it directly ask InstaCart after you have all your stuff.

If you get it you will see: different prices

may not get all items you paid for

very odd sales tax.

The tax amount they charge you wont make sense. Too high, too low for amount spent or simply a scam to get you for another whatever percent that sales tax is in your area.

Will try to update if I get anywhere with them.

User's recommendation: Demand riginal store receipt or photo what the shopper has.

Instacart Pros: People that shopped and delivered my items, Convenient grocery delivery, Convenience.

Instacart Cons: Customer service, Tricky or hidden service fee, Scammed, Wrong products and price hikes.

Comments

I am so sorry to tell you that shoppers don't work for free and each store sets its own online prices. While you are home relaxing, a shopper goes out to shop for you whether it's hot or rainy so who do you expect to pick up the slack? Read the fine prints

@PissedConsumer1888210

Perhaps you didn’t notice my $40 tip to the shopper. I’m in support of the shopper (sans the one the bought something on my card and hid it).

This complaint isn’t about shoppers so your response isn’t valid to issue This isn’t about the shopper it’s about the company. The stores aren’t setting online pricing.

The stores have not agreed to enter into a business with InstaCart to engage in illegal business practice. The fine print didn’t allow over charges, failure to adjust service charge or illegal charges of sales tax.

#1987708