Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

2.3

Update by user Nov 14, 2020

Still no contact, no refund from Instacart!

Original review posted by user Oct 09, 2020

I contacted Instacart on June 26 of this year to go grocery shopping and deliver it to some friends in need. I asked the shopper to send me a pic of the receipt at the till, so I'd have an idea of what charge was going on my credit card.

He did, and the grocery total was $294.12. The tip and service charge were a percentage of the groceries so were $16.52 each. With GST of $0.83 on the service charge, I should have been charged at total of $327.99. Instead, my card was charged $367.21!

Almost $40 too much!

I contacted them immediately via online HelpChat and was told they would "escalate it to a higher department and someone will contact you." Exactly what I was told in several emails to them, several HelpChats and even by "Supervisors" on direct calls! Still no refund. Today when I called by voice again, I was told that their ability to do refunds is only within the first 2 weeks and since I was calling about a June event, there was nothing they could do but offer a user credit (assuming the customer would use their service again!). I explained I had been contacting them repeatedly since June and expected a refund today.

I was told he'd put a ticket in to the Retail Support team who should be in contact with me about this. ARGH!

A former Instacart employee informed me they are taught to NOT give the customer the till receipt, that they overcharge regularly because the higher the grocery bill the higher the tip, and head office just ignores complaints because people stop calling eventually. THIS IS THEFT! I am now in the process of contacting all agencies I can to try to get my money back and to warn other customers to demand a picture of the till receipt be sent to them by the shopper, so they can double-check their totals.

NOTE ALSO: Instacart not only listed the grocery cost as being almost $40 more than the till receipt, but they added "Grocery GST" to the total, too!

Grocery GST (Canadian Tax) is calculated at the cash register and added to the till receipt, so they are collecting the GST TWICE!! Check your totals people!

PS Attempted three times to upload pictures of receipts and HelpChat screens but it resulted in an ever spinning circle :(

User's recommendation: Hire a friend, student or someone you trust instead of using Instacart.

Product or Service Mentioned: Instacart Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Partial refund - amount of excess charges.

Instacart Pros: Shoppers and delivery were professional.

Instacart Cons: Overcharge by padding bill and do not give refund theft.

Comments